Tuesday 30 September 2014

Art Brut - Good Weekend




I remember reading John Darnielle on repetition in music, commenting on the lines "Sad, sad, sad; I broke my leg." If memory serves (I cannot find the article), he was saying that the simple repetition of a basic emotional state can make a track universal while adding an extra pop punch. Likewise the use of a basic scenario. Art Brut, as we see here in 'Good Weekend', makes excellent and extended use of such repetition. However, the emotion is positive, centering on the excitement of fresh love. "Got myself a brand new girlfriend." The date moves from cinema/cinema, door/door, and then finally down to the floor. They can't even wait to reach the bed! Signposting the repetition, the narrator tells us that "I've seen her naked twice! I've seen her naked TWICE!"

    Art Brut, "Good Weekend," Bang Bang Rock & Roll (Fierce Panda, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment